Some of the magic happening at PV in the past week...
- Students have created individual projects for various classes that embody messages of hope and love and they have used their individual interests and talents to show their classmates what they can do while allowing them all to feel the hope and love. So far, students in English class at the high school have danced, sang, created artwork, developed video games, made food, and shared personal stories and pictures and I can't wait to see what other projects pop up in other classes like science and social studies!
- Students have started an entire initiative to bring the message of hope and love to the rest of the school and the rest of the district (with a little help from #kidpresident) and they don't want to stop there either!
- Students and advisors from multiple clubs and organizations (SADD, SGA, Key Club, Leo Club, and Diversity Club to name a few) have decided to work together with hope and positivity as a shared goal because they realize that there is more than enough awesome to go around.
- Organic cross-curricular opportunities are emerging as students from English class run excitedly to their American Government class to plan out the best way to contact politicians to spread the word through government channels.
- Students who have never been involved in a club, sport, or activity, are finding their voices and actively spreading the message of love and hope because this student-led initiative has no rigid structure or intimidating parameters.
- Non-honors level students are excited about helping their honors level classmates with a year long project where they will raise awareness and funds for community organizations.
- Teachers are giving meaningful assignments that allow students to do things like express biological concepts creatively or write letters "For Noah" https://www.facebook.com/LettersForNoah
- Community bonds are being strengthened as students decided to adopt a "Pay it Forward" mentality and regularly commit random acts of kindness.
- My favorite part so far... Administrators, faculty members, and students are united with a shared vision and a shared goal that is infinite in regard to its potential!
Some of the magic happening locally, nationally, and globally, so far...
- First and foremost, I have to say that the momentum wouldn't be anywhere near what it is at PV without the amazing viral peptalk by Kid President! Although I am sure that anyone reading this blog has already seen the video, I recommend watching it at least two (or two hundred) more times because he says the same thing I did, but in a much better (and easier to follow) way! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o <3
- I can't give a shout out to Kid President without mentioning Rainn Wilson and one of my favorite books of all time Soul Pancake (Thank you Doug!). If you don't have the book yet, you definitely need to buy it and you also need to check out the website because it is the mecca for positive and soulful messages on the Internet: http://soulpancake.com/
- A local college student inspired over a thousand people to make Valentine's Day Cards to send love to Sandy Hook Elementary (which was one of my initial goals as well): http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/marywood-student-collecting-valentine-s-day-cards-for-sandy-hook-1.1439378
- High school student, Justin Bachman, is ORGANIZING a "Tolerance Fair" in northern Ohio! http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-tolerance-fair?c=home
- An 11 year old boy expressing hope for the future through his passion for organic farming is raising awareness that could help take down a corporate titan that is perpetuating bad nutrition: http://www.ted.com/talks/birke_baehr_what_s_wrong_with_our_food_system.html
I know and believe that so many people, both children and adults, really do want to help make the world a better place and if one little blog entry and one little YouTube video can stir up this much "awesome" in one week, just imagine the ripple effect!
Thank you for reading this, please keep posting ideas and connections, and make sure you go out and dance a little!